Subject: Repository ?
To: None <jkh@time.cdrom.com, port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG, pc532@bungi.com>
From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/09/1995 00:33:57
We pc532 people have needed a central repository for years,
it's simply too damn inefficient with us all maintining our trees
of squirelled away data, with such things as.
	eprom binaries (various)
	eprom sources (maybe in netbsd tree, maybe not, )
	forth sources
	gerber diagrams for et532 & pc532 boards (& x11 tool to view)
	news archives (prior to netbsd archive)
	mach stuff maybe
	who knows what else ?
	The ET532 FAQ ;-) (cough umm yeah ... well ;-)

I have a /usr1/ftp/public/pc532 directory on my local (off line) box
with 5.6M of assorted-junk-i-darent-delete

I'm sure you all have one too, & I'm sure we all have diffferent pathnames too,
& each damn thing is stored multiple times, with ~maybe~ old uncertain
versions lying around etc.

What I propose is:
	- I set up a Web page of URLs pointing to pc532 data on other
	  hosts around the planet ( it can also point to other pc532
	  home pages, if for instance other people write maintain & host
	  pages  for such as netbsd, mach, & minix specific implementations,
	  timing diagrams, scanned copies of specs etc )

My web page could also act as a pseudo mini FAQ, insofar as no one ever has
(or will !) get round to writing one.

Further, subject to permission on disc usage from root@freebsd.org (Jordan
& associates in California) I could
	mv freebsd.org/a/jhs/jkh freebsd.org/a/jhs/public_html/pc532/
where it could also be public accessed as http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/pc532/

( I shipped this ~5 Meg dir. of assorted-data-i-darent-delete to Jordan
recently, after he said he'd lost his own heap of 532 data )

It needs pruning, & reorganising somewhat, but I can do that, & it'll be
easy for people to ftp & http to & comment on (like rm foobar, its Old )

I don't think the amount of disc space or traffic would affect freebsd.org,
& I think it might be a nice friendship gesture if the freebsd site
hosted this largely hardware info, even if the OS src etc is on netbsd.org.

The reason I suggest freebsd.org is because I have a login there, & so does
jordan, & gary jennejohn, & a colleague of karlheinz eckmeier (all 532 folk)
& I'd happily leave that directory group writable, or whatever.

However if people feel netbsd.org should be used instead, or bungi.com
I don't mind, & could still do the work, if I'm given a login on those hosts

In an ideal world I'd like to be able to auto clone that tree to our local
boxes, by some method or other, such as mirror, sup, ctm, whatever )

I have no intention of stepping on people's toes, I'm not trying to take over
anything, I'd be happiest if somebody else did the whole job for me :-)
But I don't think they will (please prove me wrong !) ...
so ...

Do I have Jordan's permission to consume a few Meg on freebsd.org ?

Do I have the consent of the rest of you ?

If so, please send me chunks of text ready to include in a new web page
that I will upload next time I'm on-line, to be called
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/pc532.html

Julian H. Stacey      EMAIL: jhs@freebsd.org  WEB: http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/
		I use FreeBSD on my i486   &   NetBSD on my PC532