Subject: Re: NetBSD/pc532 ToDo list
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/05/1995 23:26:02
> >   As for a small project ... you could investigate why profiling of
> > programs is not working.  I have no clue if the problem is in user
> > land or system land.
>
> Well, after a few initial looks, I would say that at least it
> appears that the SYS_profil syscall has not been implemented.

You don't understand how system calls are done, apparently.  8-)

the syscall number is used as an index into a table ("sysent"), which
describes the arguments to the syscall and the function that
implements it.  The syscall number constants are the syscall number
with a emulation-specific prefix, SYS_ for the 'NetBSD emulation,'
i.e. the standard syscalls.

looking in /sys/kern/init_sysent.c, where sysent[] is defined, you'll
note the entry:

        { 4, s(struct profil_args),
            profil },                           /* 44 = profil */

if you then go on to look for profil(), you'll note that it's
implemented in /sys/kern/subr_prof.c.

that should be a start, on at least finding it in the kernel...  8-)

chris