Subject: problems with the console
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@alfred.ons.octel.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/23/1995 09:24:57
Just a quick question about the pc532 boot sequence:

Does the serial port settings change drastically when the NetBSD kernel
switches to the /etc/rc script?  The reason I ask is that I recently
moved my pc532 home, so it's now connected to a MacII with ZTerm 0.9
instead of a PC runnng ProComm.  I didn't think this would be a big
deal, but I no longer get the "Automatic reboot"... message correctly
durring boot. The SCSI probe output is just fine, but everything in
/etc/rc and after is coming out like it has a bunch of the 8th bits
set.  About 1/4 of the characters are correct, and the correct ones are
consistent.  The bad ones are consistent too for that matter, and after
seeing part of a login prompt I was able to login, although the
username echo was hosed.  I tried switching from 8N1 to 7E1 and 7O1
with worse results, not being able to login at all among them.  Both
machines talk to the monitor and to Minix (before the conversion) just
fine.  The PC talks to NetBSD 1.0 and a about Mar10 supped -current
just fine.

>From this I conclude that something is happening between when the
kernel finishes the SCSI probes and when it starts /etc/rc.  Zterm
reacts to this differently than ProComm.  It appears to be only on the
output side of the driver/hardware.  Anyway, I'm stumped, and I thought
some of you might have a better idea of what's going on.

Jon Buller <jonb@ons.octel.com>