Subject: Lites binaries available for pc532
To: None <tri@pooh.tky.hut.fi, lites@cs.hut.fi, machns32k@cs.hut.fi,>
From: Ian Dall <dall@hfrd.dsto.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/03/1995 12:52:25
I have made a "binary release" of lites, mk and ancilliary programs.

It is available for ftp from:

  augean.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au:pub/mach/pc532

Also there are source patches for mk, user, buildtools and even lites
its self.  The diffs may be of interest for other achitectures as
well.

The binary release is intended to go on top of a NetBSD release and
allow you to use either.

I haven't done a comparison with NetBSD on the pc532. I suspect the mk
device drivers may be better than NetBSD's but for some things at
least, lites is significantly slower. Whether it is slower overall in
practice, depends on what you are doing! Lites is quite robust now in
so far as it has been self hosting for quite a while, but there are
undoubtedly still both bugs and deficiencies. I would not be surprised
if NetBSD is more stable (though I don't know that) so this is
probably still primarilly of interest to those who are interested in
hacking operating systems. However, at least it is easy to get going
relatively easilly now.

Ian