Subject: Re: Newbie problems
To: None <jonb@ons.octel.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/21/1994 17:09:02
>Well, here's the current state of bullbox (my NetBSD/pc532).  It took
>about 23 hours for "cd /usr/src;make" to run. It took another hour or
>two to "make install".  I was going to just install the man pages,

Again, the warning ... "make; make install" installs a bad copy of
/usr/libexec/cc1.  You need to get the distribution version or remake
a copy from gcc-2.5.8.  (See the notes/changes in
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/arch/ns32k/2.5.8)

It appears that I should have disabled cc1 from being installed.

>Where is the binary for the kernel, and was it actually built by all
>this?  I don't like mail for a default tool, but until I get the nicer,

No. The kernel was not built by "make" in /usr/src.

Go to /usr/src/sys/arch/pc532/conf.  That is where the kernel config
files are located.  Make a copy for your system.  Edit it to reflect what
you want (Also make the "ident" the same name as the file.) .. and then

  config CONFIGFILE
  cd ../compile/CONFIGFILE
  make depend
  make

The result is a file called netbsd ... your new kernel.

Always remember to save old kernels so you can boot if a new kernel is
bad.  Here is what I do for steelhead

  a) copy ...pc532/compile/STEELHEAD/netbsd to /steelhead.MMDD
	where MM is the month and DD is the day.

  b) link /netbsd to the kernel I want  e.g. /steelhead/1220

This way I have several kernels and information about when they were made.

Where is the binary for the kernel, and was it actually built by all
this?  I don't like mail for a default tool, but until I get the nicer,
better packages, I figured I could put up with it, but it core dumps
just after printing out the list of mail you have waiting to read.  I'm
going to try to look into it myself, but I don't really have a clue how
the make files are supposed to work and what is built into them.  I've
never used gdb either, so this will be a learning experience for me.

>So to wrap up: Does anyone have any hints to bring me up to speed
>quicker, or piitfalls to avoid?  Thanks again to all involved with

emacs 19.27 builds directly "out of the box".

   configure --prefix=/where/you/want/it  (I use /usr/gnu)
   make
   make install

And I use emacs for all my mail!

Glad to hear you are having fun!  (And 23 hours sounds about right for
a make in a clean /usr/src!)

--Phil