Subject: slip, X and huge Files
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/19/1994 09:53:33
Hi,

last week I finally got the last bits to setup my Xterm. This weekend I
could play around with my PC532 and the Xterm.
The Xterm is a i386@20mhz running linux.
My 532's console hangs from /dev/ttyS1 and my 532's /dev/tty03 is connected
to the Xterm's /dev/ttyS2. This line is for running slip. I fired up dip
on the linuxmachine and slattach on the 532. First test: ping works without
problems. Second test: telnet says "connected to klondike" and then hangs.
netstat -s on the 532 showed that there are lots of packages with bad
checksums are received. So I throw away the sys/arch/pc532/pc532/in_cksum.c
and droped in sys/netinet/in_cksum.c. After rebuilding the kernel slip worked
well (telnet, ftp all worked).

Now I could run my first X-client on the 532. All clients not linked with
libXt seem to work (xev, maze, puzzle). Clients linked with libXt all give
a message like "Unresolved Inheritance Problem" if I remember right.
This is probably a shared lib problem (so you got your point Julian :-).

While the new kernel has working slip now, I have now the famous
4gb-files-problem. After some investigations I found out that gcc-2.6.0
gives bad code for

	extern long long v;
	f()
	{
		v = -1;
	}

I had this problem with 2.4.5 and 2.5.8, but I fixed it for 2.5.8. 2.6.0
seems to have jet another incarnation of this problem.

	Matthias