Subject: gcc-2.6.0 cc1 patches
To: None <port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Julian H Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/07/1994 22:35:10
Phil,
I suggest all leo@marco.de's vital gcc-2.6.0 cc1 patches be commited
to the NetBSD main src tree, under
	/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/pc532	or
	/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/ns32k

As the fixes are important to generate a kernel,
& as the rest of NetBSD use gcc-2.4.5,
this seems a good compromise, after all:
	you can ftp NetBSD from sunlamp etc,
	you can ftp gcc-2.6.0 from prep etc,
but for thew cc1 patches you have to go poking through the news archives.

This suggestion was spured by Stuart mentioning to me he didnt have
Matthias latest patches, (because although he's seen them his IBM
mailer is brain dead, & craps most everything that's not A-Za-z1-9,
he was asking me to ask Matthias for a new patchkit, but that's
not the right way, this stuff is vital, all pc532s needs a 2.6.0/cc1,
so the patches should be in the NetBSD main src tree.
(I accept NetBSD don't want the whole bulk of 2.6.0 in there, but we need
2.6.0 cc1 to generate a kernel, & the patches aren't big)

Note to /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/Makefile I applied this patch,
which I suggest also be commited:

======
*** old/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/Makefile	Wed Aug 17 21:51:56 1994
--- new/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/Makefile	Wed Aug 17 22:06:30 1994
***************
*** 6,9 ****
--- 6,19 ----
  SRCS=		c-parse.c c-lang.c c-lex.c c-pragma.c c-decl.c \
  		c-typeck.c c-convert.c c-aux-info.c c-iterate.c

+ .if ${MACHINE} == "pc532"
+ .if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "ns32k"
+ install:
+ 	@echo "WARNING NetBSD uses gcc2.4.5, but its cc1 is no good for PC532"
+ 	@echo "Please manually make gcc-2.6.0 somewhere and install its cc1"
+ 	@# It's essential not to install a bad 2.4.5 cc1 as this generates
+ 	@# bad kernels (that create apparent 4 gig files etc).
+ .endif
+ .endif
+
  .include <../Makefile.cc1>
=========

Sorry If I'm preaching to the converted, but I'm reiterating all this stuff
for the other NetBSD folk such as Chris etc, who read this list, don't have a
pc532, may not know the weirdities of our architecture, but might reasonably
want some explanation as to why I want't to add to NetBSD tree size.

RSVP

Julian Stacey <stacey@freefall.cdrom.com>