Subject: My 1.0-Beta problems... (solved!)
From: Raymond A. Wiker <etorwi@hisoy.etn.ericsson.se>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/07/1994 13:57:00
	I reported a couple of weeks back that I had some trouble
getting NetyBSd-1.0 Beta working on my pc532. To be quite specific, it
worked well enough with my 200-MByte Conner drive, but failed with my
670-MByte Wren VI. cgd kindly sent me a patch and I compiled a new
kernel which seemed to work better (i.e, the original problem
disappeared); unfortunatley, I started getting other problems
instead. My guess is that the tar file snapshot currently on
ftp.iastate.edu contains a bug or two...

	(For the curious: the problems I saw with the kernel I
compiled from the source snapshot was that file sizes were a bit
unreasonable, in particular for files that were extracted by tar. It's
a bit surprising to see several files with sizes around 4GBytes on a
disk that holds only 670 MBytes ;-)

	Anyway, I eventually followed a hunch that said that maybe the
cylkinder group size was the problem, so I changed the disklabel,
newfs'd the disk and tar'd the files across from the smaller disk. This
has worked perfectly so far (touch wood!)

	For the curious, the details of my disk geometry are as
follows:

Original:
15 tracks/cylinder * 53 blocks/track * 1632 cylinders = 1297440 blocks
cylinder group size = 512 * 15 * 53 * 16 = 6.21 MBytes

New:
6 tracks/cylinder * 53 blocks/track * 4080 cylinders = 1297440 blocks
cylinder group size = 512 * 6 * 53 * 16 = 2.48 MBytes

	Now that I have my pc532 up and running again, I'll finally
get round to providing a set of patches for nethack 3.1.3 - should be
quite small, so I'll probably post it to this list.

	//Raymond.

Raymond Wiker / etorwi@hisoy.etn.ericsson.se / ETO.ETORWI
C/o Ericsson A/S, Boks 44, 4817 HIS, NORWAY / Tel +47 370 51482