Subject: Problems with 1.0 alpha
To: None <port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <n1epo4tl@ibmmail.COM>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/26/1994 05:01:53
----------------------- Mail item text follows ---------------

To: INTERNET--IBMMAIL  INTERNET at IBMMAI

From:    Stuart J. Arnold       ext. 2476
         European Patent Office -- Munich
         N1EPO4TL@IBMMAIL.COM
I compiled the NetBSD 1.0 alpha #1 sources and installed them, but
encountered various problems:
Any new files which are created have a size somewhat over 4 GBytes.
(Not bad for a 500MByte disk!)
Cat actually tries to cat all 4 GBytes, most of which are null.
However fsck finds no errors.
login does not work (most unfortunate that).  Neither do
su, more, ps and possibly others.
vi has problems with the temporary file being in the wrong format,
although works with a previous version of the kernel.
I configured the kernel with config.  config.new seemed to be
incompatible with the configuration files.  Also I converted the
file system with fsck -c2
Has anyone else seen this?  Is it a known problem, or am I doing
something wrong?
Thanks
Stuart Arnold