Subject: Re: monster files
To: Julian Howard Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/25/1994 13:39:36
> I keep getting monster files ...
> 	/usr/src/lib/libedit
> 		4294967295 Jul 20 22:31 editline.o*
> 		4294967295 Jul 20 22:32 history.o*
>   		15671364 Jul 20 22:33 libedit.a
> 		4294967295 Jul 20 22:31 tokenizer.o*
> 	& make runs in that dir till libedit.a grows to eat the disc
> 	same problem in libkvm/ too. & with
> 	usr.bin
> 		4294968661 Jul 20 23:13 options.h

I never have seen this.

> Reason 4:
> 	I seem to recall Phil uses 2.5.8 , not 2.4.5 (as installed from src)

It's really important to use the 2.5.8 cc1. I'm using 2.5.8 cc1 (with patches)
+ the 2.4.5 cc1plus with my 2.5.8 config files

                         ^--------- That's Matthias :-)

> 	for shlibs work he's done))
>
> PS My kernel's not healthy enough to do a
> 	cd /usr/src ; make -i
> without many boring crashes, so I wired the PCB power unit, (mains input side),

I'm not understanding this. I'm running a -current kernel from mid May and
I *can* do a ( cd /usr/src; make ; make install) without problems (also
it takes about 14 hours to compile the tree...)

This weekend I tried to switch to -current:090794 and I had to notice that
systemcall numbers were changed. When I tried to compile the new kernel
I had to remove msdosfs and cd0 from my config file. With new binaries the
new kernel seems to work.

	Matthias

PS: Will the systemcall numbers remain fixed now? Or do I have to await this
    pain again?