Subject: monster files
To: None <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/24/1994 07:32:23
>I keep getting monster files ...
I have never seen this.

>Tip 4:
>	cd /usr/libexec ; ./cc1 -version
>Reason 4:
>	I seem to recall Phil uses 2.5.8 , not 2.4.5 (as installed from src)
I have always used 2.4.5 cpp.  cc1 (and possibly cc1plus) are the only
2.5.8 stuff I use.

>Phil do you use an env var to inhibit shared libs ?
No, it is in one of the /usr/src/share/mk/*.mk files.

>	so I don't think we should yet use them by default for NetBSD-PC532,
>	until stability & distribution is achieved,
>	(though I recall Mathias <leo@marco.de> would welcome a tester
>	for shlibs work he's done))

They are "done".  I did have a few problems with a couple of programs,
more for one, but all the games I tried that were linked shared worked
just fine.

>PS My kernel's not healthy enough to do a
>	cd /usr/src ; make -i
wow. what kernel are you using?  Since about march, I have had a kernel
that allowed me to do "cd /usr/src ; make" and not have it crash.  There
was a bug arch/pc532/pc532/conf.c that made swapping not work.  That was
fixed recently.  That bug lasted for about 2 months.  May 20 was the
last kernel I had working correctly with swap, the next one was July 20.
So, if your kernel is dated between those dates, you may have a swap
problem.

--Phil