Subject: monster files
To: None <port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Julian Howard Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/24/1994 10:04:48
I keep getting monster files ...
	/usr/src/lib/libedit
		4294967295 Jul 20 22:31 editline.o*
		4294967295 Jul 20 22:32 history.o*
  		15671364 Jul 20 22:33 libedit.a
		4294967295 Jul 20 22:31 tokenizer.o*
	& make runs in that dir till libedit.a grows to eat the disc
	same problem in libkvm/ too. & with
	usr.bin
		4294968661 Jul 20 23:13 options.h

Further to last mail:

Tip 4:
	cd /usr/libexec ; ./cc1 -version
Reason 4:
	I seem to recall Phil uses 2.5.8 , not 2.4.5 (as installed from src)

Tip 5:
	cd /usr/src ; find . -type f -size 0 -print | xargs rm
Reason 5:
	zero files seem to turn up irrespective of whether one sups or mirrors

Phil do you use an env var to inhibit shared libs ?
	I noticed -static on /sbin, &
	LDSTATIC in /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk &
	bsd.prog.mk in arch/pc532/Makefile & below

	shlibs were a major pain during assimilation into FreeBSD,
	(& I've heard similar battle stories from SUn & other architectures)
	so I don't think we should yet use them by default for NetBSD-PC532,
	until stability & distribution is achieved,
	(though I recall Mathias <leo@marco.de> would welcome a tester
	for shlibs work he's done))

PS My kernel's not healthy enough to do a
	cd /usr/src ; make -i
without many boring crashes, so I wired the PCB power unit, (mains input side),
via a cheap timeclock, with a repeat factor of 15 mins off, 30 mins on,
& with the autoboot in place, & a
	( cd /usr/src ; make -i ) &
at end of /etc/rc, I'm set to Force it to compile !
(Disc on another power supply, to save wearing out head & landing area)

Julian
--
Julian Stacey	<stacey@freefall.cdrom.com>
Alternates:	<julian@pcsbst.pcs.com>,<jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>