Subject: Re: Is there a multi user based SCSI disk repair tool ?
To: Julian Howard Stacey <Julian.Howard.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Julian Elischer <julian@TFS.COM>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/21/1994 00:44:50

> Do we have on NetBSD PC532 (or FreeBSD-scsi mail list etc) a
> SCSI disk format / verify / sector reallocate tool ?
> Maybe something based on an extension of FreeBSD /sbin/scsi by
> Julian Elischer julian@tfs.com julian@dialix.oz.a	?

there is the following routine in the sd driver:
sd_reassign_blocks(unit, block)
I have not tested it fully, but if you add an ioctl to call it,
it should remap a bad block..
(I did that under the MACH version yesterday..
it crashed the syste (SCSI HANG) but on reboot, the bad block was gone (!?))

I haven't enough bad blocks to test it further :-(

julian
p.s. you can call it from the kernel debugger..... 8-)

julian