Subject: Re. installing NetBSD on the pc532
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Julian Howard Stacey <Julian.Howard.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/06/1994 23:53:00
Ref. Gary's posting on installing NetBSD on the pc532
	To: phil@cs.wwu.edu
	Cc: pc532@bungi.com
I added
	Cc: port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
As the proper ;-) list, but retained
	CC: pc532@bungi.com
As thread started there, + folk may be interested.

> Well, I grabbed
> the May 25 binaries and blasted them on top of an older installation which
> I got from Julian Stacey. This was trivial to do and the new kernel ran
> w/o any major problems (I did have to change the terminal setting from
> 8-no-1 to 7-no-2, don't know why).

I think the order that one `blasts on top' may be important:
	New bins with old kernel do a seg. viol.
	new kernel with old bins didnt work either (cant remember what)
Perhaps Gary used a 2nd disc, that's what I did (after learning ;-)

Some notes re. Paritie that work for me: ( Ugh ! )
				(Data Bits, Parity, Stop Bits)
	Nu Kern before login		7	Odd	2
	Nu Kern after  login		7	None	2
	Nu Kern after  login + script	7	Odd	2
	Eprom Monitor 		9600	8	None	1
	Old Kernel			7	Odd	2
This is a mess, hopefully we can clear it up later.

I don't know how to set stop bit length using kermit so used `seyon'
(a coms program on FreeBSD-i486-current/ports),
Anyone know how to set kermit stop bits ? (man kermit didnt say, nor `help') )

I too couldnt access tape with your kernel
(& I had remembered to powered up my external tape Before reboot :-)

FYI My Config:
	Eprom: NS32000 ROM Debugger Version: Sun Nov 24 21:57:39 1991
		Auto-boot enabled.  RAM free above 0x131c
	Old Kernel: 94 04 29.sd0.generic_z
	New Kernel: 94 05 25.sd0.9600

I have now compiled my own kernel :-)

I want to remake hdsetup to install it ...
It used to compile with my old NetBSD/532, but lots has changed,
I am now pondering whether to use in hdsetup.c
	#define BLOCK_SIZE      DEV_BSIZE
or whether perhaps I need 1K, not 512 as above,
also pondering on such as:
	hdsetup.c:492: structure has no member named `a_magic'
The whole hdsetup source is only 50K, if you have a new one,
perhaps you could email it to me (or port-pc532 list, whichever) ?

When it all compiles & runs (soon now I guess :-), I'll happily write
tapes for folk without ftp access, but sources & bin's wont all fit on one of
my freebie 45M tapes, it'll need 2 (more postage :-( ),
still, with 90M on 2 tapes I could inc. a small disc image too, ready to boot.

Thanks again Phil :-)

--
Julian Stacey	<stacey@freefall.cdrom.com>
Alternates:	<julian@pcsbst.pcs.com>,<jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>