Subject: News ...
To: None <port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 04/01/1994 11:58:48
Hi,

  I thought it was time for some news on this group.

  a) I am almost back to the point when I lost my root partition, but
	due to some major changes in NetBSD-current, I'm not quite there.

  b) The current state of the sources on sun-lamp WON'T work for the pc532.
	I have some changes I need to commit soon.

  c) -current changed to the "new" scsi code and the pc532 port is using
	the "old" scsi code.  Until we can upgrade to the newer stuff,
	we will have the old scsi code in src/arch/pc532/scsi.

  d) the size and type of the standard types uid_t, gid_t and off_t have
	changed in -current -- causing some problems with the pc532.  We
	are working on these.  Specifically, uid_t and gid_t went from 16
	bits to 32 bits AND "old" executables may pass garbage for the
	top 16 bits, thus getting bad uids and gids.

  e) The mail alias "532bsd@iceberg.cs.wwu.edu" is being replaced with
	an official NetBSD mail list on sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu.  The
	new list is "port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu".  For information
	send the message "help" to "majordomo@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu".
	There are also several other mail lists on sun-lamp to which you
	might want to subscribe.  (Anyone running NetBSD on their pc532
	is a "current-user".)

  f) Matthias reports that he has shared libraries working.  I have the
	diffs and will be trying to get them integrated soon.

  g) The next binary snapshot is still a way off, due to my root file
	system problem and the recent changes to -current.  I do have
	an install script that worked quite well for me.

  h) At last count, there are 9 pc532s running a version of NetBSD, and
	at least 3 of them are reported up and running multi-user.

  i) Since I hate to see duplicated effort, if you are planning to work
	on something, please let me know.  That way, I can tell you if
	someone else is working on that.

  Have a good weekend.

--Phil