Subject: Re: next68k port status?
To: <>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@cns.mpg.de>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/21/2003 09:54:52
Brian Willoughby wrote:

> Could an answer be found by examining the NeXT install CDs at the block level?
> I believe that those are Rockridge - isn't that ISO compatible?

No, they simply have a disklabel and BSD filesystem (with disk and
filesystem sector size of 2k).

> I may not remember this precisely, but the floppy was only needed on older
> systems because the firmware would not boot from the 2048 byte block devices
> -or- perhaps it was because a CD-ROM is identified as a different type of SCSI
> device, and would normally be ignored as a boot device (just like you cannot
> boot from a SCSI scanner).  I believe that the newer NeXT's, especially the
> later Turbo machines, would boot from CD-ROM without the floppy.

Yes, all of these. The older systems needed the floppy bootblock to cope
with the 2k sectors. Even for the newer system it was more convenient:
It figured out where on the SCSI chain the CD-ROM drive was, and it also
  forced the use of the CD for both kernel and root device (easily
forgotten on the PROM prompt).

Timm