Subject: Re: next68k port status?
To: None <port-next68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@cns.mpg.de>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/20/2003 11:33:42
Michael Wolfson wrote:
[...]
>  - installboot(8) doesn't work

Recently I noticed the SPARC boot/disklabel support in cdrecord, and I
wondered whether the next68k disklabel could also exist on an ISO CD.
But it seems the NeXT label starts at the beginning of the disk
(LABELSECTOR == LABELOFFSET == 0), so it probably won't fit on an ISO CD.

>  - doesn't have full wscons support (virtual terminals)

Is this supported for any framebuffer-only port? I always thought the
ports which had this used the text capabilities of VGA hardware (or
similar?).

> Which of these work (and how well -- ethernet/keyboard/mouse/display/SCSI)?
[...]
>  - 68040-33 16-bit color (NeXTstation Color Turbo) - NeXT_TURBO_COLOR?

Partly/no/no/yes/no.

More specifically, with the 2003-10-15 -current releng snapshot (1.6ZD)
my ADB color turbo can netboot the kernel, but it freezes hard
immediately after the wsdisplay0 line (no reaction to ping, keyboard,
NMI, power switch; no network activity after the kernel load). Well, at
least the booter works, and the display is also fine.

I'll try with my other slab soon (ADB-capable color turbo with non-ADB
periphery). Has anyone recently tested a non-ADB turbo?

> Hardware support
>  - Do ADB peripherals (kbd/mouse) work?

Definetely no.

Timm