Subject: SCSI disk corruption
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/17/2003 21:27:33
OK, so I've been trying to install the Sept 24, 2003 snapshot on my
non-Turbo mono cube.

I disklabeled it, got the bootloader installed (using Christian
Limpach's installboot.sh script), newfs'ed the partition, and copied
the GENERIC kernel over.

That boots.

The problem comes when I try to unextract the distribution sets.  I
ftp'ed them over to the hard drive.  Almost always (but not every time)
gzip -vt or tar -xzf fail blaming corruption of the file.  But I know
they're stored correctly on disk, since sometimes succeed.

pid 586 (gzip), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core not dumped, err = 27)

What's odd is that gzip and tar have no problems if the .tgz files are
located on an NFS mount.  Also, cksum always returns the same value for
the .tgz files.

The other thing is that when I shut the system down, it always hangs
(or panics) when trying to unmount the root filesystem:
syncinc disks... Done
unmounting / (/dev/sd1a)...

Any suggestions?

TIA,