Subject: next68k port status?
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <email@example.com>
Date: 09/30/2003 11:12:13
Howdy next68k folk,
Since we're approaching a new major release, I figure it's time to
update the docs.
So, I know these models work (I've got a NeXT_X15):
- 68040-25 2-bit grayscale (NeXTcube) - NeXT_X15
- 68040-25 2-bit grayscale (NeXTstation) - NeXT_WARP9
- 68040-25 16-bit color (NeXTstation Color) - NeXT_WARP9C
Which of these work (and how well --
- 68030-25 2-bit grayscale (NeXT Computer) - NeXT_CUBE?
- 68040-33 2-bit grayscale (NeXTcube Turbo) - NeXT_TURBO_MONO?
- 68040-33 2-bit grayscale (NeXTstation Turbo) - NeXT_TURBO_MONO?
- 68040-33 16-bit color (NeXTstation Color Turbo) - NeXT_TURBO_COLOR?
- Do ADB peripherals work?
- Is SCSI reliably working (hard drives and CD-ROMs)?
By this, I mean are there no sneaky gotchas involved in booting and
hard drives and CD-ROMs? Is it a preferred method of installing
- What about ISO 9660 file systems? GENERIC seems to have it
- Can you partition a disk to boot both NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and NetBSD,
or is it
one disk per OS?
- What boot methods are available (aside from netboot and SCSI HD)?
- Shouldn't it have sysinst if it supports booting from hard drives?
- Compatibility with NeXT format file systems (read/write)?
Isn't it the same that MacOS X uses (which is supported in
- What's the X server status?
- Does it have full wscons support (i.e. virtual terminals)?
- I couldn't get screenblank to work.
That'd be really nice for the old mono monitors.
- COMPAT_NEXT? (OK, it's a long shot, but COMPAT_DARWIN works now)
- Any work on optical drive support?
- Any work on NeXT-style CD-ROM support?
- Any work on floppy support?
- NeXT Printers?
- NeXTdimension displays?
Anything else I'm missing?