Subject: Re: Yellow Dog's Teron PX
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 03/11/2003 09:38:29
--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:31:35PM -0800, chauncey smith wrote:
> Hey that's a great idea. I'm all for the cube we never got. And
> Keeping it BSD I'm all for.

Note that, to some people, Mac OS X is the logical step after
NeXTStep, and early-early versions (like Rhapsody DR 2.1 or so) look
a whole lot like NeXTStep. And Apple does have their own cube.

> Does GNUstep compile under NetBSD?

It should.

There's also pkgsrc/wm/afterstep, last I checked. (I can't cope
with a click-to-focus interface, so I've never used it.)

> And is the PPC project advanced enough to give me a working version of
> XFree86?

There's an Xmacppc as part of the macppc port, but it's only
necessary for Apple video chipsets (and not for all of those). XF86
is really platform independent, it just needs to get at the graphics
chipset. Since the various PowerPC-based ATX form factor boards
out there have PCI slots, any PCI video card should work with a
little haggling to get it recognized (though you'll probably be
happier with an OpenFirmware one, provided the motherboard you buy
has it).

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net