Subject: Re: X server (and more)
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=EDaz?= <al590349@mail.mty.itesm.mx>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/16/2002 00:15:48
Hello.
Thanks to all for your answers.

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 06:50:47PM -0500, Daniel Díaz wrote:
[...]
> > startx complies about X not existing in the path (and that's right: there is no
> > X!).
> > Do I have to get it from some other place, or there is just no X server for this
> > port?
>
> No, sorry. No X server yet.

Is there an X server for any other version? I was kinda excited about my slab
running at last an X server!

Also, i've been through a discovering phase with my new netbsd. I have a few
questions.
First of all, how can I put the caps lock on? The Command-Shift combination
doesn't work at all (and pressing Control, as in a PC keyboard, won't help!).

Then, I get a "panic" (is it a kernel panic?) every day. I don't know if this is
due to the fact of leaving the next compiling all day long (is there a place
with binaries??) plus an stack overflow or something, or due to some problem
with my NFS server or something like that.

And then, sometimes when I boot my next, I get loads of errors like this one:
isrdispatch_autovec: stray level 3 interrupt
  *intrstat = 0x100<SCSI>
  *intrmask =
0x98027648<NMI,ENETX_DMA,ENETR_DMA,SCC,DSP_4,DISK|C16_VIDEO,SCSI,ENETX,ENETR,DSP_3,KYBD_MOUSE>

until the debugger comes in and I must reboot. The same thing will happen again
and again until I reset my computer with the Alternate-Command-* combo; then it
will boot happily. Is it very wrong?
And my clock loses 3000 days every time I reboot. Battery issue?

I am mainly concerned about the X thing. Perhaps I could get it to run a remote
gnome-session& (in grayscale), and have it as an extra monitor! It could even
work with DMX (multiheaded X display) as an extension to my monitor. I could be
so happy with an X server...

Well, thanks for your previous comments, and any hint will be appreciated!

Daniel Díaz
yosoy@danieldiaz.org