Subject: Re: Compiling
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/14/2002 11:15:15
--NklN7DEeGtkPCoo3

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 10:52:56PM -0500, Daniel D=EDaz wrote:
> I was wondering... Is there any way to compile on my PC? It takes ages to
> compile anything!

To compile what, exactly?

The NetBSD tree itself is entirely cross-compilable. It'd help to be
running NetBSD on your i386 box, but it's by no means a necessity.
(You'll definitely need to have a real compilation environment,
though. Which means "install {Net,Free,Open}BSD/Linux/BeOS/whatever
or pay a lot of money".)

Have a look at src/BUILDING for details on that.

If you want to cross-compile packages, you're probably out of luck;
most of pkgsrc is not (nor can it ever be made to be) cross-
compilable. (These are problems with the vendor's original source,
not with the pkgsrc system as such.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net