Subject: Re: Questions about dual-motherboard cubes
To: Tim McIntosh <tmcintos@avalon.net>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/31/2002 06:43:11
Tim McIntosh wrote:

> Is the backplane modification still required when
> two '040 boards are used?

I do not know.

> In such a configuration, are all the on-board devices available from the
> NeXTbus? [if there is any good documentation on the memory map, please
> direct me to it]  If so, wouldn't this mean that it would be possible to
> use the machine for SMP if the OS could take advantage of this?

I have a '030 Cube board here. On that board, you have everything from CPU, sound, SCSI, network to bw graphics.

The only NeXTbus card that was made public was the NeXTdimension that made the cube color. With such a card, you could run multi-head (one bw monitor and one color on each NeXTdimension card).
So there is nothing like SMP. You have 2 computers in one box.

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Phone +49 33056 82834
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/  dave@turbocat.de