Subject: Re: turbo support...
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@Pin.LU>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/23/2002 22:51:59
Quoting Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>:

First of all, glad to see that you could load the kernel, at least the
bootloader works.  I assume you use a UTP network connection?  BNC doesn't
work yet and I forgot to mention that.  Also, I'm using a non-ADB
keyboard/soundbox right now, I don't think ADB components will work but
hopefully they won't make the system crash.

> I tried it on a NeXTstation Turbo (monochrome) and got to "Check serial
> port A for console". However, I don't see anything on serial port A.
> What baud rate should I use? I've tried 9600 8N1 and 19200 8N1.

I use 9600 8N1.  Does the screen clear after it prints "Check serial port A
for console" messages is displayed?  If not then it crashed and maybe that's
the problem.  I've built another kernel which doesn't have the wsdisplay
console code built in (it was still built in but not used).  Could you try
this kernel please?
ftp://lola.pin.lu/pub/NetBSD/arch/next68k/turbo/turbo-07-21/netbsd-TURBOK.gz

> As far as I can tell, the machine completely locks up after printing
> that message; I can't break into the ROM Monitor with
> Command-Command-`, and the power key doesn't do anything either. I have
> to unplug the power and plug it back in... (I'm not familiar with NeXTs
> though; perhaps there's some other way to force a reset that I don't
> know of :)

There's Left-Alt+Left-Command+upper_most_right_key_on_the_number_block (- or
* on the keyboard layouts I have, the key which is the furthest away from the
left Alt/Cmd keys) which should work even when Cmd-Cmd-` doesn't work.  On
machines with ADB components this doesn't seem to work (at least it didn't
before I swapped to non-ADB)

--
Christian Limpach <chris@Pin.LU>