Subject: Re: SCSI support
To: Goran Koruga <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@Pin.LU>
List: port-next68k
Date: 05/31/2002 18:49:38
Hi!

> It happens each time I try to use it. It's up for several minutes and
> then the above happens. Machine itself wasn't doing anything, it was
> waiting for my input since I've run disklabel -e -I sd0. As for the
> network, yes it's rather busy. Every now and then I also see kernel
> messages about some ARP issues (I think it's about mismatched addresses,
> but I didn't pay attention to it). Perhaps it would help if I try to
> hook it up to a switch where it would see less traffic ? Note that I
> didn't see such issues when I was using kernel w/o SCSI support (I think
> it was 1.5.1) and doing FTP transfers and such. But I guess this doesn't
> mean much since only network card was active at the time.

could you try a recent kernel without SCSI support, like:
ftp://lola.pin.lu:21/pub/NetBSD/arch/next68k/snapshot/20020520-current/binar
y/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz
Also, your previous kernel might have been compiled without DIAGNOSTIC in
which case those errors are silently ignored (and packets dropped).
If you can build a kernel, then you could also try a kernel with SCSI but
with the panic commented out, it's in sys/arch/next68k/dev/mb8795.c around
line 1066.
Could you also write down those ARP messages you mentioned?  Or anything
that would help to let me reprdouce this problem would make it easier to fix
it ;-)

     christian