Subject: Re: new INSTALL notes
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 05/02/2002 01:59:53
> :)So the question is, is that field right and if so, where do I dig up that
> :)file to stuff into my tftp dir.
>
> Yes, that's correct.  It's described below in the tftp setup section below
> (i.e. extract it from binary/sets/base.tgz since it's not stored separately
> in installation/netboot).

Aye.  It turns out I had one laying in my tftpboot dir from an earlier
life that got me up and going.  Both report themselves as rev 1.2 but
they're about 5k different in size (now smaller).

> I suppose I ought to describe that before the dhcpd.conf section, eh?

Actually, that's a good idea.  I have a netboot server ready to go so I
really skipped sections (even easier when it's printed 4-up on a page)
that looked to be associated with that.  I did stop and think about what
loader to stick in there as I had a boot laying in my tftpboot but it was
for NEXTSTEP and didn't really help me much.

Perhaps in the Installing the NetBSD System's Introduction where you
explain the process, use the word "boot" when describing the bootstrapping
and have a link down to where to extract it from?

In the "Post installation steps" most notably number 4 where the packages
are shown as an example, the shell at that point would presumably be csh
rather than sh so the env setup might confuse lo-tech folks.

Nice doc though!  Much better than when I first tried muttling through it
some time back.  Is the scsi support pretty much parked?

Thanks,

peter