Subject: Re: I'm willing to update the webpages and install notes
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Goran Koruga <goran.koruga@hermes.si>
List: port-next68k
Date: 11/12/2001 12:10:06
On Sat, Nov 10 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

Hi,

> But I'll need your help answering some questions I've got.
>
> I just received a mono non-Turbo cube.  Looking through the archives and
> comparing them with the webpages and INSTALL notes, things look a little
> inconsistent.
>
> Since it looks like no one's really working on the docs, I can put a little
> time into refreshing things.
>
> What's the current status of the following items in -current and in
> the netbsd-1-5 branch:
> wscons
> X11
> 68030-based systems
> turbo boxes
> SCSI

I have tried SCSI support but run into problems. You can find my report
in mail archives.

> [...]
> resistor trick to the DB19 on the motherboard), even though they also support
> ADB devices?  Would you need a non-ADB soundbox?
>
> What about the color NeXTstations, since they seem to use a "Y" cable?
>
> I'm not entirely as clear on the color/turbo models as to headlessness, which
> partially stems from my confusion over the soundbox issues.  If I've got it
> right:
> * There are three types of soundbox: ADB, standard, and monochrome Megapixel
>   monitor (which has the equivalent guts as a standard soundbox).
> * The soundbox has the keyboard/mouse bus controller in addition to audio
>   ports and a connection to the monitor (incl power for mono Megapixel disp)
>   which means you need one to operate a headfull system.
> * All models have a DB19 which goes to a standard soundbox or a
>   monochrome Megapixel display
> * The NeXTcube Turbo and NeXTstation [Color] Turbo additionally support
>   the ADB soundbox in their bootrom (v 74 and higher).
> * The NeXTstation Color [Turbo] systems use a "Y" cable that connects
>   the station (DB19), the soundbox (standard or ADB, also DB19), and the
>   color megapixel display (13W3).
>
> I guess my questions are:
> * Is that last statement (about the Color NeXTstations) corret?
> * Do the color Megapixel displays *not* have any soundbox functionality?
> * Is there a different ADB monochrome Megapixel display, or do you just
>   put an ADB soundbox between the system and the monitor?
> * Is there a separate color version of the soundbox?
> * What comes out of the monitor port on the soundbox (if it's the same as the
>   mono soundbox and you plug it into a color NeXTstation)?
> * Can you use a soundbox between a system and a monochrome megapixel display,
>   or are they only supposed to be used on color NeXTstations or cubes with
>   dimension boards?
> * Oddly I've seen refence to ADB soundboxes requiring monitors with higher
>   vertical refresh rates.  Huh?
> * Can you use an ADB soundbox on a non-Turbo machine (even if the bootrom
>   doesn't support it)?
>
> If I understand the NeXTdimension situation, (Matt debergalis had posted back
> in Feb 1999 about some troubles he had), all cubes need a soundbox (since
> you obviously don't want it to be headless and the color megapixel display
> doesn't have the soundbox components).  This soundbox could be in a
> monochrome megapixel display or a standalone soundbox.
>
> By default NEXTSTEP doesn't enable the mono display if it's plugged in.  Also,
> the headless issue with older cubes (prior to SN AAK0016370) require a load
> or an upgraded power supply still exist.  Additionally, the original 68030
> NeXT Computer systems needed an upgraded NeXTbus Interface Chip (NBIC).
>
> A couple more miscellaneous questions:
> * Do we still need to muck with ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT and/or SERCONSOLE to
>   specify serial console or local console?
> * what's the 72 pin SIMM slot on my non-Turbo 68040 cube's motherboard?  Right

A few people I know have bought NeXTstation recently. Some of us figured
out that machines have 30-pin SIMM slots, while one feller has 72-pin
SIMM slots. I didn't pay any attention to serial numbers and suchlike - I
think he no longer has the machine to check it.

Hope this helps,
Goran

> * Are there any special key combinations (I know command-` breaks to the
>   PROM monitor, and I've seen mention of control-alt-* as a hard reset)?
>   What drops into ddb, command-`?  Can you drop to the PROM monitor from a
>   running   OS (like sparc systems)?
>
> Does anyone know of good hardware reference sites in addition to the outdated
> nextstep_faq on peanuts.org?  Something with, e.g. model numbers so one can
> tell at a glance what they've got.
>
> I'd like to link to those sorts of things for total black NeXT newbies (like
> myself).
>
> Thanks!
>
>   -- MW

Goran Koruga                            goran.koruga@hermes.si

HERMES Softlab
Litijska 51                             phone: +386 1 5865 524
1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia