Subject: I'm willing to update the webpages and install notes
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 11/10/2001 19:42:33
But I'll need your help answering some questions I've got.

I just received a mono non-Turbo cube.  Looking through the archives and
comparing them with the webpages and INSTALL notes, things look a little
inconsistent.

Since it looks like no one's really working on the docs, I can put a little
time into refreshing things.

What's the current status of the following items in -current and in
the netbsd-1-5 branch:
wscons
X11
68030-based systems
turbo boxes
SCSI

AFAICT:
* NeXTcube systems:
 + 68030-25 2-bit grayscale (NeXT Computer)
 + 68040-25 2-bit grayscale (NeXTcube)
 + 68040-33 2-bit grayscale (NeXTcube Turbo)
 + NeXTdimension board adds 32-bit color (i860) to any of above systems

* NeXTstation systems:
 + 68040-25 2-bit grayscale (NeXTstation)
 + 68040-33 2-bit grayscale (NeXTstation Turbo)
 + 68040-25 16-bit color (NeXTstation Color)
 + 68040-33 16-bit color (NeXTstation Color Turbo)

The NeXT Computer isn't supported (need 68030 locore stuff).  The NeXTdimension
boards aren't supported.  Sound, dsp, floppy, optical disk, and printer aren't
supported.  For everything else black (in -current):

model		kbd/ms	ADB	cons	ether	scsi	serial
non-Turbo	y	n/a	y	y	?	y
Turbo		y	n	y	n	n	y

The majority of the unsupported problems are due to issues with the DMA
controllers, and if we could get formal docs on them that'd solve all our
problems.

As for headlessness, I just tried my cube (I haven't gotten a monitor yet),
and the 470 Ohm resistor between pins 6 and GND does indeed fire up the
machine, but it immediately powers off.  My serial number is higher than
that listed as having the power supply loading problems.  I've got a serial
cable plugged between the cube and my PowerBook with hardware handshaking
enabled.  Must I have a keyboard and monitor enabled to initially set up
those PROM preferences (i.e. alternate console)?  Also, I'm assuming that
the console is 9600 bps 8N1.

Once I have that set up, can I access the PROM over the serial console, or
must I also use the console for that as well.

Other than this, AFAICT, the FAQ instructions are correct for the NeXT
Computer, NeXTcube, and NeXTstation.  The power dissipating resistor is only
necessary on early cubes with serial numbers below AAK0016370 (from
NeXTanswers #1037 -- mine is AAK0016775).  Apparently, adding an internal
hard drive will dissipate enough power that the power supply doesn't have
problems.

For the Turbo systems, does the same prinicple apply (i.e. the 450 Ohm
resistor trick to the DB19 on the motherboard), even though they also support
ADB devices?  Would you need a non-ADB soundbox?

What about the color NeXTstations, since they seem to use a "Y" cable?

I'm not entirely as clear on the color/turbo models as to headlessness, which
partially stems from my confusion over the soundbox issues.  If I've got it
right:
* There are three types of soundbox: ADB, standard, and monochrome Megapixel
  monitor (which has the equivalent guts as a standard soundbox).
* The soundbox has the keyboard/mouse bus controller in addition to audio
  ports and a connection to the monitor (incl power for mono Megapixel disp)
  which means you need one to operate a headfull system.
* All models have a DB19 which goes to a standard soundbox or a
  monochrome Megapixel display
* The NeXTcube Turbo and NeXTstation [Color] Turbo additionally support
  the ADB soundbox in their bootrom (v 74 and higher).
* The NeXTstation Color [Turbo] systems use a "Y" cable that connects
  the station (DB19), the soundbox (standard or ADB, also DB19), and the
  color megapixel display (13W3).

I guess my questions are:
* Is that last statement (about the Color NeXTstations) corret?
* Do the color Megapixel displays *not* have any soundbox functionality?
* Is there a different ADB monochrome Megapixel display, or do you just
  put an ADB soundbox between the system and the monitor?
* Is there a separate color version of the soundbox?
* What comes out of the monitor port on the soundbox (if it's the same as the
  mono soundbox and you plug it into a color NeXTstation)?
* Can you use a soundbox between a system and a monochrome megapixel display,
  or are they only supposed to be used on color NeXTstations or cubes with
  dimension boards?
* Oddly I've seen refence to ADB soundboxes requiring monitors with higher
  vertical refresh rates.  Huh?
* Can you use an ADB soundbox on a non-Turbo machine (even if the bootrom
  doesn't support it)?

If I understand the NeXTdimension situation, (Matt debergalis had posted back
in Feb 1999 about some troubles he had), all cubes need a soundbox (since
you obviously don't want it to be headless and the color megapixel display
doesn't have the soundbox components).  This soundbox could be in a
monochrome megapixel display or a standalone soundbox.

By default NEXTSTEP doesn't enable the mono display if it's plugged in.  Also,
the headless issue with older cubes (prior to SN AAK0016370) require a load
or an upgraded power supply still exist.  Additionally, the original 68030
NeXT Computer systems needed an upgraded NeXTbus Interface Chip (NBIC).

A couple more miscellaneous questions:
* Do we still need to muck with ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT and/or SERCONSOLE to
  specify serial console or local console?
* what's the 72 pin SIMM slot on my non-Turbo 68040 cube's motherboard?  Right
  now, it's empty.
* Are there any special key combinations (I know command-` breaks to the
  PROM monitor, and I've seen mention of control-alt-* as a hard reset)?
  What drops into ddb, command-`?  Can you drop to the PROM monitor from a
  running   OS (like sparc systems)?

Does anyone know of good hardware reference sites in addition to the outdated
nextstep_faq on peanuts.org?  Something with, e.g. model numbers so one can
tell at a glance what they've got.

I'd like to link to those sorts of things for total black NeXT newbies (like
myself).

Thanks!

  -- MW