Subject: Re: keyboard pinout?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/18/2001 13:07:42
--4zI0WCX1RcnW9Hbu

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:28:45AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> How can it work with a mono slab, then, which already has its DSP on
> the motherboard along with everything else?

Um. 'Cause I'm loopy. See below.

> P'raps.  If the signal is just wired straight through, it's easy
> enough, but if there's actually something complicated in between, it's
> more work than it's worth.
>=20
> I've got more keyboards than machines; I'll open up a keyboard and see
> if I can see anything from that.  (I couldn't infer anything from the
> digital logic board in the monitor....)

Good luck! :^>

> Hm, where would it even plug in?  To work with a mono slab and handle
> the keyboard and mouse, it would have to plug into the monitor
> connector.  And I have no idea where it would get the signals to drive
> the DSP from; there's a DSP port on the back, but it's the wrong
> interface; that's the DSP<->world interface, not CPU<->DSP.

Yeah, yeah. That's because I was confused. The sound box plugs into
the monitor port, and the keyboard and monitor plug into it.

Judging by blackholeinc.com, there are both ADB and non-ADB sound
boxes. They provide (NOT a DSP) a microphone, a speaker, and a
headphone jack (maybe not all of which you have on your machine?),
at the least further removed from the box itself.  And they look
cool.

For me, having one means that I can use just a dimension color
monitor on my dimension cube and use the black and white monitor
with a currently headless 030 cube.

But, while I'm pretty sure it would fix your problem, it's maybe
sounding less nifty as it gets fewer smarts. :^>

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--4zI0WCX1RcnW9Hbu

--4zI0WCX1RcnW9Hbu--