Subject: Re: keyboard pinout?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/17/2001 11:02:53
--c7hkjup166d4FzgN

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:10:31AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Duh, yes, sorry.  Original (non-ADB).  2bpp grayscale.

Heh. No sweat.

> The latter.  (I didn't know there was any other way; I don't recall
> ever seeing a version that didn't go through the monitor.)

Oh, most of the color 040 slabs came with sound boxes.

It also houses the DSP, which is pretty neat.

> But "easiest"?  I'd far rather spend an hour with soldering than
> fighting the Web to try to find a vendor, paying good money I only
> sort-of have, and waiting a small age (compared to time-to-working for
> the DIY solution) for delivery.

Fair enough. I don't know the details on doing that, and I think
chances of frying either the controller in the slab or in the
keyboard are middling to high, requiring a much more expensive
repair part.

> Unless there's no choice, unless there's enough intelligence there that
> more than at most level shifters are needed...which was why I asked.

Yeah, well, maybe someone else will know that what you want to do
will work. You're definitely trodding into territory I've not
crossed. (I'm a little wary of even mucking with the custom data
acquisition board filling two slots in one of my cubes; I got the
machine from wustl.edu's neurology department.)

> On a related note, would it work to just disconnect the connector that
> drives the video electronics off the digital electronics board in the
> monitor?  (Not that I'd do this as a solution, because I want to be
> able to use the monitor when I choose without having to open the silly
> thing up.  This question is mostly curiosity.)

Maybe? Like I said, I'm not interested in breaking the hardware I've
got. :^>

I have no idea where the "I'm alive" circuitry in the monitor that
lets the CPU board continue booting lives.

> On the other hand...what _is_ the sound box?  I may want it on its own.

It's a DSP chip, the keyboard and mouse controller, and a speaker.
In a cute, black, triangular box. With that evervescent NeXT logo on
the front.

> > Go check out http://www.blackholeinc.com/specials/blackhardware.shtml
> I would, except they're behind Media3 Technologies, who sued MAPS and
> thus won a permanent place in my border router block list.  (Yup, their
> choice of provider lost them a (potential) customer.  A price of
> getting their connectivity from a spammer supporter.)  I suppose I'll
> dig around and see if I can find anyone else who sells the things - any
> other recommendations, anyone?

Yow. Um, there're a couple other reliable vendors, but there are
also a couple you should not, under any circumstances, buy snake oil
from. I don't have my list handy (it's in the head of a friend ;^>),
but I'll get back to you.

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--c7hkjup166d4FzgN