Subject: Re: How can help with a Turbocolor?
To: Gaspar Gonzalez <Gaspar_Gonzalez@hotmail.com>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/18/2001 14:05:18
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Gaspar Gonzalez wrote:

> I just got a Nextstation turbo color that I know is not really
> supported but is there anything I can help you to make Turbos
> supported or is there anything I can do to help this port?

Certainly, but since there is effectively no information about the
critical components other than the existing NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP code, you'd
need to make some sense of that.

With that said, if all you need is a starting point, I could post a (*very
unpolished*) patch that at least allows one to boot a MD-root kernel (with
an embedded root filesystem).

Framebuffer and serial console work, as does a (non-ADB) keyboard, but
almost nothing else.

There's the *very brittle* beginnings of network support, but it tends to
crash the system very fast if you try to do more than a bit of ping or
traceroute. (That's why it uses an MD-root: it's far from being stable
enough to netboot.)

There's also a related but much smaller project you could tackle: The
current boot program does not support turbos.
There's a patch by Tim McIntosh which can netload on turbos, but it would
be very useful to merge it with the recent ELF/loadfile changes in
-current.

Regards,
Timm
--
Timm Wetzel     	<twetzel@gwdg.de>
Biomed. NMR GmbH        Tel +49 551 201-1091    FAX +49 551 201-1307