Subject: Re: FREE: NeXT laser printers
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/16/2001 12:33:55
On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 02:22:36PM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:

 > What's the "worn gear" problem? I have a NeXT laser printer that seems
 > to have paper feed problems... if I print a page, it sucks the paper in
 > a few inches, then reports paper jam. If I just open and close the
 > printer, it will feed in a few more inches before reporting another jam.
 > If I do this enough times, it eventually gets the whole page through
 > (sometimes :).

That is the "worn gear" problem.  In their infinite wisdom, the
engineers that made that printer's mechanism used a plastic gear,
rather than a brass/whatever one.

 > Is that the worn gear problem? And if so, I take it there's not a simple
 > fix for it?

Simple if you can get the gear.  Last I heard, there was one company
in Milpitas, CA (or Fremont, CA) that made the gear, and it's pricy.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>