Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?NeXT without monitor (Re: dma & ethernet changes to -current, now running again)?=
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: port-next68k
Date: 04/07/2001 14:43:31
Todd Whitesel wrote:

> I still need to figure out how to get it to power-save the monitor, or run
> it headless -- gotta be UPS-friendly with the power crisis and all. I think
> I saw a web page about headless NeXT's... what do y'all recommend?

Hi folks,

this is from the NeXT FAQ:

5.40 How to boot a NeXT without a monitor?

    The procedure is to just touch pins 6 and GND on the DB-19 NeXT
   monitor out with a 470 Ohm resistor (450 is the actual resistance, but
   470 ohms is more commonly found in resistors). Pin 6 is the power
   sense, and pins 13-19 (and the DB shell) are the GND. Just say "pin
   19", it may be easier.

   There's a pinout diagram of the DB-19 in the NeXT Users Reference
   Manual.

   If you have an old Cube, the power supply needs to have more power
   drawn from it than an 030 (and 040?) board uses to stay on. So: On the
   DB-19, attach a Power Resistor (20 Ohm, at least 20 Watt) between pins
   12 and GND. (Pin 12 is -12V, pin 13 works well for GND). Then just
   "touch" the 470 ohm resistor as described above, and you're set. The
   20 Ohm resistor draws an old 030 running without monitor in an old
   CUBE), but it isn't necessary - just don't touch it (*HOT!* ;-)

   To power off, type "halt -p" as root on the machine (either through a
   terminal connected to port A, or over the ethernet connection).

   Also, you have to have the Rom Monitor settings done correctly. The
   important ones are:

                Wait until keypress? N
                Sound out tests? N
                Port A as alternate Console? Y (if you have one, it's nice)
                Verbose mode? N (I think this may need to be N to work, don't r emember).

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Mail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION