Subject: Re: I'd like to help with Turbo support.
To: Tim McIntosh <tmcintos@avalon.net>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@securitas.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 03/01/2000 18:42:59
Hi,

on Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:55:21 -0600 Tim McIntosh wrote
concerning "I'd like to help with Turbo support." something like this:

> - Temporarily removed the 'en' code, which allows me to get to the boot
> prompt.  At this point, if I enter 'sd', it prints "open: sd(0,0,0)", hangs
> for a number of seconds, then prints a bunch of scsi debug info, followed
> by "sd(0, 0, 0):  19 = Unknown error:  code 19", and ends up back at the
> "boot:" prompt (the drive never spins up).

Ok, this is not exactly a surprise to me (although you can count it as a
bug ;)): IIRC (it's been some years) the bootblocks don't have any code
to start up non-running disks. To work around that problem you could either
set your disk to spin up automatically or, if you have a spare disk, put
the bootblocks on that disk and use the NeXT prom to load them from there,
starting the disk as they go. It may still not work; in fact that's quite
likely ... Timm Wetzel reported that it did not work on his Turbo hardware.

IIRC (but that's been some months aswell), the current bootblocks are
set up with lots of scsi debug code, so even if they were actually working
you wouldn't want to wait for a kernel to load. On the other hand if it's
running into an error (like you have reported above), it would be helpful
to get the debugging output that led to the error.

Hope that helps a bit,
Rolf