Subject: Re: hardware doc via plan9 code
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@securitas.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 12/26/1999 15:42:44
Hi,

on Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:11:13 -0500 (EST) der Mouse wrote
concerning "hardware doc via plan9 code" something like this:

> I just had this forwarded to me, and for all that it uses the L-word,
> it's potentially good news for us too.  As I type, I'm fetching the
> .tar.gz, just in case it vanishes; do we perhaps want to do some
> cleanrooming ourselves?

I'm not too sure about that. We're way too few people who actually code
for next68k anyway. I don't think it makes sense to lose some because they
have used encumbered code. I'd rather wait and see what the Linux folks
come up with if we can't figure things out ourselves.

> It's not clear to me to what extent the stuff in the .tar.gz is covered
> by the plan9 license; I haven't yet unpacked the tar and looked for
> copyright license terms.

I don't know what .tar.gz you are getting, but if it's from the same site,
it most likely is completely covered.

> [Forwarded message said]:

>> Do _not_ download or look at the tarball if you plan on writing the
>> linux code.  There are some very nasty derivative works clauses in
>> the Plan9 license. Not to mention that Plan9 is commercially
>> licensed code, and passing around copies will be questionable.

From what I make of that license, I think the same applies for NetBSD code.

>> What we need are one or two people to document the plan9 stuff and
>> feed those docs to a couple of other people.  we probably should
>> post all docs and other questions either on this list or another
>> public forum/list.

It would probably be very helpful if we could get on that forum/list aswell.
Any pointers?

Bye, Rolf