Subject: cross build of -current
To: NetBSD/next68k developers list <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
List: port-next68k
Date: 11/30/1999 15:16:14
Just some status info:

I just tried to cross-compile a recent -current kernel for next68k.
It worked (the compile, that is), but there were some problems.

(This is from a 1999-11-21 syssrc.tgz file with a gcc-2.95.1-based
cross-toolchain hosted on NS3.3.)

- A pure GENERIC build fails to link because the softdep stub is not
  compiled.
  You have to select either SOFTDEP or ffs support. (This is probably not
  really a next68k-specific problem, but there are probably not many
  configs without ffs around.)

- Cross-building boot fails on some -Werror warnings. Moreover, there is a
  non-portable hack in libsa's tftp.c:

#ifdef _STANDALONE
#include "/usr/include/arpa/tftp.h" /* XXX */
#else

I have a 1.4.1 snapshot around, but is there any gcc option to work around
the absolute path specification? (The host system's header file has a
slightly different path.)

BTW, I wouldn't have expected the kernel to work since I have turbo
hardware, but I couldn't even test: Neither my freshly compiled boot nor
an older one (Rev1.5) could load the kernel from sd or en.
I know that loading from sd worked for turbo hardware with an older boot
block (Rev1.2??), but it seems that I have overwritten the disk.

Regards,
Timm
--
Timm Wetzel     	<twetzel@gwdg.de>
Biomed. NMR GmbH        Tel +49 551 201-1091    FAX +49 551 201-1307