Subject: Re: Greetings, Comrade!
To: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 11/21/1999 02:33:42
> Can you submit a port-next68k problem report on this?

More data has been gathered: it appears to be that something slowly grinds
up the system if you halt/reboot netbsd through the NeXT ROM monitor. This
suggests that something is not being cleaned up when the kernel shuts down.
I wiped and reinstalled the diskless setup on the server, and that fixed
the panics and spurious compilation errors I had been getting.

However, the unexporting and re-exporting confused my HPUX machine a bit,
and I kept getting mount problems on the NeXT where each NFS mount would
show up as d--------- in ls, and it would refuse to mount swap, claim
permission denied sometimes (but not always) when accessing /usr, and so on.
Rebooting the HPUX machine fixed that. whew.

I may still be having problems running CVS checkouts, so I'm tarring over a
set of sources to see if I can at least build a new kernel.

> Please include a ddb backtrace if you can, or at least the function
> names and the actual faulting address if you're hand transcribing.

I'm going to try to get up to -current first, by avoiding the land mines.
If it starts happening again, then I'll try to gather this kind of detail.

> Is your network heavily loaded, especially with broadcast traffic?
> I noticed something similar on another system I use sometimes,
> but haven't had time to investigate.

Nope, I have a pretty quiet net except when the CVS checkouts are going or
the NFS-booted machines (NeXT, iMac) are doing something interesting like
removing a large directory tree.

> Unfortunately, the stability of the port went down noticably due to
> lack of maintanance.  I was optimistically hacking on the scsi
> nightmare up until the 1.4 release under the illusion that I might
> have gotten somewhere before then -- I was wrong.  I need to put aside
> the futile scsi driver, clean out dma bugs introduced from my hacking
> on it and deal with some of the regular port maintance issues.  If I
> can get some time to hack on it, I should be able to get it to run
> stably again.

Please do! Give me the ability to build -current regularly and you'll get
snapshots for free. I've had i386/arm32/alpha/sparc chugging for a month
now, and I really want to add m68k, but the macs need re-installing and
the sun3/60 is taking ages...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com