Subject: Re: First failed boot attempts
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Michael Jinks <mjinks@bsd.uchicago.edu>
List: port-next68k
Date: 08/01/1999 00:17:00
David Brownlee wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Michael Jinks wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply, Darrin.  By following it through and finding out
> > the answers to your questions, I found a couple of things I'd been doing
> > wrong.  For one thing, I hadn't realized that /usr/mdec/boot was a boot
> > loader and not the kernel.  That led to the realization that I hadn't
> > installed the kernel in the first place.  Oops.
> >
>         If you have any suggestions for changes to the docs to make it more
>         obvious - please let us know! :)

How about some way to ensure that the docs are never read by morons? ;)

Actually I think that the docs are fine as long as the reader isn't
fresh from a similar attempt using Linux; as I think I said in my first
post, my past experience in this area has been with Linux, which skips
the boot loader and has tftp squirt the kernel out directly, so I
tacitly assumed that this would apply generally.  Not so, obviously.

> > The machine serving as tftp and bootp server is a RedHat Linux box,
> > kernel version 2.2.5-intel.
> >
>         There is a problem with redhat 6.0 with the kernel nfs support

Naturally. %$#@! DeadRat...

<kvetch>Maybe it's time to switch Linux distro's...</kvetch>

>         - the mountd accepts nfs3 mount requests but the OS only
>         implements nfs2. This of course works perfectly with other
>         linux boxes as they only ever talk nfs2, but screws over any OS
>         bold enough to actually want to use nfs3...
>         (Just on the offchance you're hitting that :)

Well, you tell me -- I am Linux-literate, Solaris-aware, BSD-stupid.
Does the NetBSD loader make any nfs3 requests?

>         One option if you have a scratch i386 disk would be to install
>         NetBSD/i386 and use it as a server - it would probably be easier
>         for people on this list to diagnose any problems in this case
>         :)

Yeah, I was thinking of that as I stepped through the setup process, but
at least for now all of my intel boxen have their hands and partitions
full of other OS's.  We have some skeletal 386's laying around but for
one reason or another they all have problems of their own. :[

Oh, well.  Thanks for all the help; this list has been _far_ more
helpful than I expected, certainly more helpful than the Linux NeXT
list.  I think that my next course of action is to hunt down a 486 or
something, stick NetBSD on it, and try again.

Yippee! Time to learn another OS!