Subject: Re: First failed boot attempts
To: Michael Jinks <mjinks@bsd.uchicago.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/31/1999 23:53:23
On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Michael Jinks wrote:

> How about some way to ensure that the docs are never read by morons? ;)

	Hmm - we could write them in a format that is unreadable by
	any application running under Windows, but freely available for
	any unix version? That would be a start :)

> Actually I think that the docs are fine as long as the reader isn't
> fresh from a similar attempt using Linux; as I think I said in my first
> post, my past experience in this area has been with Linux, which skips
> the boot loader and has tftp squirt the kernel out directly, so I
> tacitly assumed that this would apply generally.  Not so, obviously.

	I've added a note to Documentation/network/netboot/intro.next68k.html
	that indicates the boot program will load the 'netbsd' kernel.

> >         - the mountd accepts nfs3 mount requests but the OS only
> >         implements nfs2. This of course works perfectly with other
> >         linux boxes as they only ever talk nfs2, but screws over any OS
> >         bold enough to actually want to use nfs3...
> >         (Just on the offchance you're hitting that :)
>
> Well, you tell me -- I am Linux-literate, Solaris-aware, BSD-stupid.
> Does the NetBSD loader make any nfs3 requests?

	Hmm - the bootloader may only use nfs2 (I don't know), but
	if the server responds to a nfs3 mount request the _kernel_
	will use nfs3, otherwise try nfs2. If the server lies... :/

	I'll add a note to Documentation/network/netboot/nfs.html#linux
	warning people about the nfs2/nfs3 problem.

> >         One option if you have a scratch i386 disk would be to install
> >         NetBSD/i386 and use it as a server - it would probably be easier
> >         for people on this list to diagnose any problems in this case
> >         :)
>
> Oh, well.  Thanks for all the help; this list has been _far_ more
> helpful than I expected, certainly more helpful than the Linux NeXT
> list.  I think that my next course of action is to hunt down a 486 or
> something, stick NetBSD on it, and try again.

	We try to help :)

> Yippee! Time to learn another OS!

	At least it will be a lot easier to get it up and running on i386
	:)

		David/absolute

                  -=-  "Maybe god will cover up his eyes"  -=-