Subject: Re: First failed boot attempts
To: matt debergalis <deberg@MIT.EDU>
From: Michael Jinks <mjinks@bsd.uchicago.edu>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/31/1999 23:52:33
matt debergalis wrote:

>     Michael> net_open: netif_open() succeeded net_open: NFS mount
>     Michael> succeeded 920440enintr: timed out.  <== It sits at this
>     Michael> line for a long time drawing the |/-\ whirly-thing in the
>     Michael> column immediately after the numbers, then pauses, prints
>     Michael> the "enintr: timed out" message, and:
>
> i've seen this from time to time, particularly if the ethernet segment
> was busy, but it's always an intermittent failure, and it works fine if
> i boot again.

Hm.  Well, I've tried it this way now probably 4 or 5 times, with
consitent results.

Possibly relevant: My LAN here is a patchwork of BNC and 10baseT, which
is possibly highly vulnerable to hardware-level slowdowns.  Maybe.  But
it does have the advantage of being sparsely populated; when I try to
boot the NeXen, the _only_ traffic on that wire is between the NeXT and
the boot server.

FWIW.

> the color machine should work fine, but you'll have to use a serial
> console for the time being - color console support isn't yet finished.

Groovy!  I had not yet heard that bit of news, and it is indeed useful;
we have a Wyse term or two laying around, and the long-term goal is to
boot all the NeXen headless anyhow, so this is a welcome bit of info.
Thanks.

-m