Subject: Re: Cannot boot headless
To: matt debergalis <deberg@MIT.EDU>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/06/1999 23:34:41
On 06-Jun-99 matt debergalis spoke unto us all:
#  you might try compiling a kernel w/o ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT and w/ SERCONSOLE,
#  which will force it to use the serial console and not complain if there
#  isn't actually a serial line attached.  (that's my current configuration
#  of the same headless machine.)
#
#  if you're still having difficulty i can try reproducing your problem...
#  i've been on the move and just now got my machine set up again.

Actually.. I finally figured out how to wire the serial cable, and got one put
together.  As soon as the serial cable was plugged in.. the machine booted fine.

What really confuses me here, is that the machine was getting pretty far into
the rc scripts, as my server showed things like /home mounted (via nfs).  I
also tried it with getty shut off on the console.. but that made no difference.

If I get a chance.. I'll try those options, and unplug the cable.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org