Subject: Re: next68k wscons status
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: matt debergalis <deberg@MIT.EDU>
List: port-next68k
Date: 01/08/1999 06:15:39
    me> much work remains, but what exists now is good enough to use as
    me> a console instead of using the serial line.  note that for now,
    me> the system console is still the serial line - i haven't written
    me> the glue code to allow the NeXT to boot on the direct console
    me> yet.

more progress... i have enough of this glue written so that the system
can use its internal console, obviating the need for any serial console.
there are two problems, however:

1) dropping to ddb (cmd-cmd-~) works, but the keyboard response is lousy
   in this polling driver mode.  it's pretty much unusable, so if you're
   using ddb, you should stick w/ the serial console.

2) the zs (serial controller) driver doesn't like not being a console,
   so the new kernel doesn't configure any serial lines.  this probably
   isn't a big deal for now.

since i'm not sure how long it'll be before these problems are solved,
i've made another kernel available that runs completely on the internal
console.  again, this is good only for mono NeXTstations (and cubes?)
with non-adb keyboards.

ftp://sunrise.ne.mediaone.net/pub/netbsd/netbsd-internal-console.gz

again, you'll need to create the wscons device nodes as in my previous
email.

if you're running the internal console, be sure to configure a getty to
run on ttyE0 (as in the previous email), and turn off the getty running
on "console".

enjoy... matt
--
matt debergalis <deberg@mit.edu> KB1CTH