Subject: Re: off topic: Passwords
To: Michael Moll <kvedulv@kvedulv.chiemgau.com>
From: Ronald C.F. Antony <rcfa@cubiculum.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 12/13/1998 16:32:40
> A few weeks ago a friend gave a NeXT-Station to me. It has NeXTStep on it
> and runs quite well, but we have no password to get into Workspace. Are
> there any tricks to get into it without having the root(or
> admin???)-Password?

Check out the NeXTanswers section at Apple's site, they have a Q&A on it.
	http://www.apple.com/enterprise/
The solution given before may not work, since that will change AFAIK
the /etc/passwd file, which is normally not consulted when running in
multiuser mode. Normally the netinfo local domain will be used, and
that will not be changed, and you can't change that w/o first
entering the old password, I think. (Maybe I'm wrong and they
changed a few things, but...)
Also, there is a chance that your machine might have a hardware password,
then you would be required to enter that before you enter single user
mode. That too is covered by NeXTanswers...

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  G.B. Shaw   |   rcfa@cubiculum.com   |   NeXT-mail welcome