Subject: new kernel binary fixes minor problem on mono slabs.
To: None <port-next68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/21/1998 03:32:04
I've uploaded a new kernel binary to

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/next68k/19980721/

I broke the memory probing for the mono slabs when I added
the color turbo slab.  This is now fixed.  The code has been
recently tested and found working on:
  - a 25 Mhz 68040 Mono cube (NeXT_X15)
  - a 25 Mhz 68040 Mono slab (NeXT_WARP9)
  - a 25 Mhz 68040 Color slab (NeXT_WARP9C)

I don't think there are any other noticable changes from
the previous image.

I don't really know how many people have managed to boot it, but I've
gotten word from a couple.  I also don't know whether people are
hosting from NeXTstep, NetBSD, or other systems.  I guess I was
previously assuming people were using NetBSD, but it sounds like we
are getting a few people new to NetBSD.

I noticed a recent change in the dhcpd server in the -current NetBSD
changes which causes the NeXT to ignore the boot program name in the
dhcpd.conf file and instead try to tftp the bootloader as the name
"boot" Given that the NeXT really only does bootp and doesn't use dhcp
features, it's probably easiest to just use bootpd and not dhcpd.  If
anyone sets up bootpd from either NetBSD, NeXTstep or anything else
and boots NetBSD/next68k with it, I encourage them to post directions
to the list.  It should be the same procedure used to set up NeXTstep
on a diskless machine.

Apparently, there was a brief discussion on usenet on
comp.sys.next.hardware, which generated a few pieces of email which I
haven't gotten to answering yet.  I will try to catch up on my mail
shortly.  Welcome new list subscribers.

Unfortunately, I only have about 10 hours a week to work on this
project, and even that is going to be hard to scrounge over the next
month.  I will still try to promptly get to questions directed at the
list.  Hopefully, we can get more people bootstrapped with it
that can help once we have the turbo machines and scsi support.

Darrin