Subject: Re: port-next68k
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.DK>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <jewell@MIT.EDU>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/08/1998 12:00:12
"Soren S. Jorvang" <soren@t.DK> writes:
> The ethernet controller in my machine (Turbo Color)
> is an AMD 7996. How compatible with the Fujitsu chip
> it is, I don't know - as far as I can tell, AMD only
> has a electrical specs data sheet for it available on
> their web site.

This is a common misconception because you can see the chip
on the board.  I'm 95% certain that what you see is not
an entire ethernet chip, it's just the wire that flips the bits
on the wire.  I'm pretty sure my machine has the chip labelled
7996 as well, but I'd have to take a look again to be sure.

> At least it is not an entirely different chip.
> The MAC address can be read, and some of the register
> contents seem to correlate with the *reg.h constants.

The MAC address is read from ROM, not the ethernet chip.

> I have tried frobbing the chip some, but with
> no success. I can't find any 8795 documentation on
> the Fujitsu site, either.

There isn't really much available.  It's the same chip used
on an IBM RT Ungermann-Bass ethernet board, but it's hooked
up using NeXT-special DMA interface.    The main reason
this port wasn't trivial enough to have been done years ago
is the lack of documentation.

> --
> Soren

Darrin