Subject: Re: segment list construction fixes
To: Christopher Reid Palmer <reid@pconline.COM>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <jewell@MIT.EDU>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/08/1998 07:06:34
Christopher Reid Palmer <reid@pconline.COM> writes:
> Okay; I can't do it until Wednesday evening at the earliest (going out of
> town). But please correct me if I'm wrong: I 'dd' the 'boot' file to a
> floppy, and 'dd' the kernel to another floppy, and go for it? Or do kernel
> and bootloader need to be on the same floppy?
>
> Chris :)

Well, neither the bootblocks nor the kernel have support for the
floppy (yet).  Fortunately though, the ROM has support for the floppy,
and the bootblocks have support for the scsi disk.  (The kernel
doesn't have support for the scsi disk yet, but that won't matter
until we get this test to work first.)

You should be able to put the boot blocks onto a floppy or a
scsi disk.  (Although you don't want to overwrite the NeXTstep
bootblocks if you still want to boot NeXTstep)  The nextstep
installboot worked last time I tried it.  "dd" should be able
to do it as well, but I'm not sure which sector of the floppy
it needs to go in.  There's a installboot script in the
bootblocks src directory that suggests something like:
   dd if=boot of=/dev/??? obs=1024 seek=32 conv=osync
If that doesn't work, try leaving out the "seek" and
see if the floppy needs to start from the beginning of the disk.

You also probably want to uncompress the kernel image and
put it in the root directory of your scsi disk named as "netbsd"

Then I think you can use "bfd()netbsd" to boot the kernel from
the scsi disk, using the bootblocks on the floppy.

Darrin