Subject: Configuring a Color Turbo for NetBSD
To: None <port-next68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Soren S.Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/19/1998 14:25:49
[Note: I haven't had a NeXT before]

Hi,

Wanting to play around with NetBSD/next68k, I just bought a Color
Turbo (with soundbox and cable and a premade modem cable that I
can make into a serial console cable, but nothing else, ie. no
memory, no disk other than the floppy drive, no keyboard, mouse
or monitor).

What is the easiest way of setting it up for a serial console
and netbooting? What will be required? (An ADB keyboard I could
easily loan and I necessary, I could probably also find a
monitor that will take the monitor signal from the box. I would
prefer not having to install NeXTStep to run some NVRAM setup
program.)

I grounded the monitor sense pin to avoid the need for
a monitor, as per the NeXT hardware FAQ and installed
2 32 MB 36 bit memory modules. I assume the memory works
with the box since the diagnostic LED triple-blinks when
they are not installed, as opposed to the single blink on
power-up when they are installed.

I had sort of assumed that it would just default to netbooting
upon finding no disks, but the TP transceiver does not come
active.

When the soundbox is connected, the speaker blurts out two
quick "noise" sounds after half a minute or so, but nothing
happens after that.

Thanks.

--
Soren