Subject: It works (Was: Re: patch for generic software interrupts)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Mauricio <raub@kudria.com>
List: port-newsmips
Date: 05/03/2003 10:28:19
At 9:43 AM +0900 5/2/03, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>In article <a05100303bad5def09a1a@[10.0.0.10]>
>raub@kudria.com wrote:
>
>>	Unfortunately, in my case once the screen "hiccups" after the
>>  message saying the hard drive had not been initialized, I can leave
>>  the machine on for hours and it will not continue.  If I keep holding
>>  the space bar, the screen is then redrawn, one character for every
>>  time I press the space bar. =(
>
>Ok, now I've got some clue. It seems interrupt handling
>problem on news3400 (HB based system).
>
>Both z8530 serial and LANCE Ethernet on news3400 use
>the same interrupt level, and it's handled in
>newsmips/news3400.c:news3400_level1_intr().
>Now I notice that serial console recovers from hiccups
>if interrupts from the LANCE Ethernet occur.
>(Maybe some locking is needed?)
>
>I don't know how to fix this right now,
>but there is a certain (but ugly) workaround.
>Try to set IP address to your newsmips machine before
>stating sysinst (by ifconfig(8) on shell prompt) and
>ping(8) to the machine from another host during installation.
>---
>Izumi Tsutsui
>tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp

	Thanks for the suggestion!  I did set the IP address
(ifconfig le0 10.0.0.16 netmask 255.255.255.0 up) and then pinged the
machine from my Solaris box when it gave the error message regarding
the HD label.  One ping was all it took!

So, I finally started installing the OS.  One thing I was confused
with was the default partition table.  It only has the following
partitions (1GB HD):

/ (64MB)
swap (64MB)
/usr (~800MB)

Where does /home goes to then?  Also, it seems to have ran ot of
space during the installation:

: write failed, file system is full
  65752ailed wri92 KB/s uid 0 comm tar on : file system full
  65413 KB  202.17 KB/s
: write failed, file system is full
tar: Failed write to file ./usr/share/calendar/calendar.birthday (No
space left on device)

How come?  I guesstimated the space required for a full install
(minus X) to be under 250MB.  That should fit like 3 times in 800MB.
Why didn't it?  After all, I did install netbsd in my DEC 5000/20
before in a 512MB HD without a problem.

	At least it seems the problem now is simple one. =)

Thanks for all the help!