Port-newsmips archive

Re: patch for generic software interrupts

In article <a05100303bad5def09a1a@[10.0.0.10]>
raub%kudria.com@localhost wrote:

>       Unfortunately, in my case once the screen "hiccups" after the
> message saying the hard drive had not been initialized, I can leave
> the machine on for hours and it will not continue.  If I keep holding
> the space bar, the screen is then redrawn, one character for every
> time I press the space bar. =(

Ok, now I've got some clue. It seems interrupt handling
problem on news3400 (HB based system).

Both z8530 serial and LANCE Ethernet on news3400 use
the same interrupt level, and it's handled in
newsmips/news3400.c:news3400_level1_intr().
Now I notice that serial console recovers from hiccups
if interrupts from the LANCE Ethernet occur.
(Maybe some locking is needed?)

I don't know how to fix this right now,
but there is a certain (but ugly) workaround.
Try to set IP address to your newsmips machine before
stating sysinst (by ifconfig(8) on shell prompt) and
ping(8) to the machine from another host during installation.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost