Port-newsmips archive

Re: 981223 snapshot halts after kernel load

abuse%brushtail.apana.org.au@localhost wrote:

> * all the /dev files had to be created
>
> The easiest way I found to handle this was to munge .profile (from
> NEWSOS) to "(cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV)".  Until this was done, I couldn't
> fsck or go single-user on tty0.  Maybe a "/etc/rc.firsttime" ?

/dev/* files need to be created only on the first time, but
I know it is difficult to make dev files on NEWS-OS because
NEWS-OS sh didn't recognize NetBSD MAKEDEV script. :-(
Anyway, it would be done by sysinst in the future release.
(md_root snapshot kernel is needed for now?)

> * ROM monitor doesn't like NetBSD-created disklabels at all.

readdisklabel() and writedisklabel() in newsmips/disksubr.c
do not use LABELOFFSET value so they cannot create a new disklabel
properly even though they can read/overwrite an existing disklabel.
ROM monitor (or boot-loader?) could read disklabel with LABELOFFSET=64.
I guess they should be rewritten like vax/disksubr.c.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost